<span class="highlight">cape</span> <span class="highlight">york</span> <span class="highlight">camping</span>

Submitted: Monday, Oct 24, 2005 at 22:45
ThreadID: 27532 Views:2171 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there
My fiance and I are currently travelling around oz, and are planning a trip up the cape in April next year. We are currently camping in a tent but want to upgrade to a camper trailer, firstly we would like to hear from anyone who have a Trackabout camper trailer - what they thought about it, and secondly we want to know if it is wize to toe a camper trailer up the rugged cape (we currently have no toeing experience). Thanx Star
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:02

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 06:02
Star

From my experience, April is a bit early to do the cape. If they have a good wet season (and it looks like they might) all the creek crossings will be up. The Wenlock has a bridge but many other places require wet tyres.

The usual rule is go from June/July onwards. You need to do the telegraph track rather than just the bypass roads otherwise you will miss some spectacular country.

Trailers do get taken up there but they need to be very strong and have 360 coupling.

Alan
AnswerID: 136165

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 07:31

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 07:31
Hey Allen, I know where the picture of your rig was taken, I've been there lots of times. Sparky
FollowupID: 389975

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 13:14

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 13:14
I have just come back from the cape and towed my camper up and back.... As far as 4x4 terrain it is not that tough on the vehicles.. I was expecting to be climbing hills and dragging the thing behind me but it was a piece of cake.. The Telegraph track is a nice drive but the bypasses are pretty much just dusty corrugated roads..

Your trailer will HAVE to have good solid suspension capable of taking a beating from the currugations as there are millions of them up there...

As for camping... we had 3 cars all with women and children on board so we stayed at the designated camp grounds each night so we had toilets etc... cost about $20 - $30 per night to camp ... added up pretty quickly!! But there was always a spot to put the camper..

If the traileris up to the corrugations then I don't think you will be terribly challenged by the driving.. take it easy and watch out for the dust holes etc..

Cheers
AnswerID: 136224

Follow Up By: Member - Wilgadene (QLD) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 20:43

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2005 at 20:43
Hi Sea Dog, what sort of vehicle and trailer did you take. We have a 2.8 diesel 4 runner and off road camper trailer - fair bit of weight and not a whole lot of power - is it asking too much to take such a rig up the cape?
FollowupID: 390148

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 08:42

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2005 at 08:42
I got plenty of go ... got a turbo diesel 80 series cruiser.... Just makes the drive more comfortable....

I don't think the lack of power will hamper you too much at all.... As long as your car will be able to drag its butt up short sharp creek exits (and there is only 2 or 3 of them that I would even consider a worry of any type) in low gear you will be fine.

I had been led to believe that the cape had very difficult terrain and that if you went up there I would need maximum traction and power etc etc... I did Lakefield Nat park, Developmental Road, Weipa Road, Baclavia downs road, Telegraph track, Southern bypass road, Captain Billy's road and a few others thrown in for good luck with absolutely no probs at all...

I found that the actual 4x4 terrain was not difficult however the corrugations are a killer... suspension is the biggest key to having a successful trip. There will always be someone along who can assist you up a steep incline if you get stuck but if your suspension fails you are pretty much on your own until you get it fixed.

My camper is not a big brand one, it was made at Maroochydore Qld by Rod's engineering and to be honest did the trip with ease... Mind you it has Hilux suspension throughout and is built with a triple A frame etc for the heavy stuff.

I took 3 spare tyres expecting to be changing them regularly and didn't even look like getting a single flat tyre.. There were 3 cars in my group and we all had either BFG Muddies or Cooper STT's on and not a single flat between us for a total of 23000klm.

As far as camping goes... We cryovaced our meat and took something like 15 meals away with us... that was a good call as meat etc is very expensive us north but you can still get it so if space is a concern pack for 10 days as you can always top up as you go at the bigger towns.

Any more questions feel free to ask..

Cheers
AnswerID: 136416

Sponsored Links